Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)

Richard Yao ryao at funtoo.org
Tue Jun 19 22:46:47 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 06:17 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Richard Yao <ryao at gentoo.org> wrote:

>>>     It might be an ok smoke test, but it's hardly a realistic
>>> test/comparison as the pseudo startup for a jail and a real system
>>> aren't close to being the same (this is in part because of how jails
>>> function).
>>
>> Would you elaborate on what you consider to be acceptable? Honestly, I
>> am not certain if you will appreciate any tests unless you do them yourself.
>
> Change /etc/rc to use OpenRC in the base system.
> -Garrett

That is already done in Gentoo FreeBSD, or do you want me to do the work
for you to integrate OpenRC in the base system?

I already have OpenRC in Gentoo FreeBSD. Taking the time to integrate
OpenRC into FreeBSD would be an inefficient use of my time. Not only
would I fail to gain any improvements on my systems, but I would divert
development time from things that do benefit me.

People can use Gentoo FreeBSD in jails (or on physical hardware) to do
comparisons. If they like it, Gentoo's developers are willing to help,
but you cannot expect us to do your work for you. That would be like
asking the Clang developers to replace your system compiler or the
Illumos developers to replace your file system.

FreeBSD's developers need to be the ones to import OpenRC into FreeBSD's
base system, not us. We will just fix problems you encounter and
collaborate on improvements. That is what every other upstream does.