Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 19 16:48:24 UTC 2012

On 6/18/2012 9:39 PM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> The latter item is the only place where making changes to rc.d is going
>> to help, and only then by parellelizing, and even then you are not
>> really going to gain much since most things at boot time are serial.
>
> grep sleep /etc/rc.d/* usr/local/etc/rc.d/*

Sleeps in /etc tend to be there for good reasons, and new ones are
vigorously scrutinized. If you see any that you think are dubious, feel
free to mention them on freebsd-rc at .

In the ports' scripts we tend to be more forgiving, but I've worked with
several maintainers to apply more effective solutions where there is a
good reason to wait for a dependent service to actually be running.

This also brings up a good point, any new rc-alike solution we consider
must have support for scripts in ports that is at least as robust as
what we have now.

Doug