TeXLive merge into FreeBSD ports tree - FreeBSD project idea

Gustau Perez gperez at entel.upc.edu
Sun Jun 17 20:09:02 UTC 2012

Enviat des del meu iTotxo (disculpeu la brevetat)
Sent from my iBrick (excuse me for the brief message)

> Quite a few conflicts and changes in dependencies are needed for TeXLive. TeXLive does not just replace teTeX, but also ports like freetype-tools, t1utils, jadetex, etc. I have patches for all ports I use, which has been working for me for half a year. If TeXLive and teTeX were supposed to exist in ports in parallel for some time, something like bsd.tex.mk would be needed with a generic way to specify tex related dependencies. Maybe this would be useful for the transition period, since we probably would not want texlive-scheme-tetex to replace all teTeX dependencies, but many people disagree that having both TeX at the same time in ports would be a good idea.
>
> There are ports that I could not get to build with TeXLive at all: misc/freebsd-doc-* There are too many error messages I do not understand. Someone with a lot more insight will have to look at these, before TeXLive can replace teTeX in ports. I have posted to texlive-freebsd at googlegroups.com about this, but there were no answers.
>
> I guess the biggest problem for people to put more effort into fixing TeXLive in FreeBSD ports is the huge disagreement about how a final solution should look like.
>
> OT: FreeBSD might be more behind than others, but others have trouble with TeXLive in their native packaging system, too: Nothing never than TeXLive 2009 made it into Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>
> Cheers,
> Jan Henrik

 One (among others) problems is the TL nanescheme. They don't release packages with version number. Because of that maintaining the distinfo of thousands of packages is quite difficult.

  Then I'd vote for keeping an old version of the TL tarballs (like ubuntu does) in the FreeBSD FTP distfiles dir and proceed with fixing the ports needing teTeX.

  I did for gnome2 sometime ago and wasn't that for most of the gnome2 packages. I would like to help if this patch is taken.