BIO_DELETE equivalent for file on FFS filesystem

Xin LI delphij at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 19:38:00 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think you can only truncate the file at this time, pretty much like
>>> brk() works for memory.
>>

>> BAD. suppose i keep windoze VM image on filesystem which takes 10GB but
> uses 5GB.
>>
>> i could write simple program to find out what blocks are unused and
> then...do nothing.
>>

> What if you cp it?

That would be a dd(1) unless we teach cp(1) how to do sparse.  I think
what he wanted is to tell the OS "I don't need block XX - YY anymore"
and the OS creates a sparse hole, which is not available at this time.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net> https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve! Live free or die