Upcoming release schedule - 8.4 ?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Jun 15 08:52:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:16:30AM +0200, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
> I'm thinking we might jump straight from 8.x to 10 when the time comes,
> I'm really looking forward to Gleb's work on CARP and PF ;)

I don't know why you might think one .0 release would be more mature
than another .0 release.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

> There are not many boxes I could try 9.0 on, because they're in
> production with pfsync to conserve client sessions and I'm loath to
> take risks with most of our firewalls.

This is where having one or more systems for development is key.

Installations like yours are in a far better situation to test FreeBSD under
realistic loads than are all but a few of the FreeBSD developers.  I would
urge testing long before the leadup to a .0 release, not afterwards.

Apologies if I'm just repeating myself here, but FreeBSD does not have a
dedicated QA department.  We are reliant on our users to test in real-
world conditions.

mcl