groups and directories

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu Jun 14 14:53:21 UTC 2012

assume we have timesharing system and multiple users.

everyone have his/her home directory and here - the access right and
ownership is simple.

assume we need two shared directories - a and b

directory a must be for user1,user2 and user3, directory b for user3,user4
and user5.

things are simple - i create groups a and b, and add user1,2,3 to group a,
and user3,4,5 to group b.

when any of them create file in those directories, group is automatically
added.

setting umask to 007 allows anyone else from group to read and modify
those files.

but when user1 create file first at home directory and then move it to
directory a, it still is in group user1.

is it possible to make automatic chgrp anyway? or just completely
different solution.

I don't mean samba/ftp/nfs but directly accessing files by users working
on the same machine.