FreeBSD Boot Times

Brandon Falk bfalk_bsd at brandonfa.lk
Mon Jun 11 22:21:55 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I was just wondering what it is that FreeBSD does that makes it take so
long to boot. Booting into Ubuntu minimal or my own custom Linux distro,
literally takes 0.5-2 seconds to boot up to shell, where FreeBSD takes
about 10-20 seconds. I'm not sure if anything could be parallelized in
the boot process, but Linux somehow manages to do it. The Ubuntu install
I do pretty much consists of a shell and developers tools, but it still
has a generic kernel. There must be some sort of polling done in the
FreeBSD boot process that could be parallelized or eliminated.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Note: This isn't really an issue, moreso a curiosity.

-Brandon