SuperPages utilization survey

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri Jun 1 12:35:34 UTC 2012

> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/stuff/spsurvey.py
>
> The results from three systems (with the script being run as root) are here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/stuff/spsurvey_desktop.txt
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/stuff/spsurvey_mixserver.txt
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/stuff/spsurvey_webserver.txt

your "webserver" is actually database serwer with addons.
mixserver - mix of what?
My "mixserver" have certainly far different mix of your "mixserver", as i
don't use python heavily for example, while use squid, clamav (both fits
well in superpages), and don't run large memory postgres process.

What is "desktop". A computer sitting on the desk? May
run a lot of different programs.

Your "desktop" as i can see use KDE bloatware and postgres.

As for me, such namings are completely imprecise and such statistics say
NOTHING.

What REAL knowledge i acquired from your work is that postgres are very
well fit for superpage mapping, if large DB buffer is used.

Actually - Whenever there are long running processes in the system that
allocate and use large memory chunks then superpage promotion will work.

My idea - lets do a survey based on PROCESS NAME.
this will give a really meaningful information.