FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 18 17:48:24 UTC 2012

On 1/18/12 3:32 AM, Robert Watson wrote:

> Another possibility is to get some combination of {The FreeBSD
> Foundation, iX Systems, ...} to trawl the bug report database in a
> more official capacity. The problem there is that this will be a
> high burn-out job.  I'll bring it up at the next Foundation board
> meeting, especially after a bumper year of fund-raising, and see
> what we can do.

we really need a bud-submitting-user advocate..

Someone (need not have a commit bit) who doesn't take charge of the
patch, but, rather,
acts as a project manager in hte process of getting it in.
i.e. finding, and then pinging the approriate developer, and
occasionally nagging them or
finding an alternate dev if the first choice is unresponsive.

diplomatic skill would be important..  maybe a woman might be best in
this job as the developers tend to not want to be rude to women :-)  .