FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

Achim Patzner ap at bnc.net
Wed Jan 18 15:56:06 UTC 2012

Am 17.01.2012 um 20:54 schrieb Steven Hartland:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Kozubik" <john at kozubik.com>
>> It's amazing how many people are in the exact same boats - waiting for 8.3, getting locked out of new motherboards because em(4) can't be "backported" to even the production release...
>
> This is not true, only last week did we take the version of e1000 from
> HEAD into our 8.2-RELEASE tree as a patch. It wasnt totally trivial but
> it also wasnt difficult either. But it would still be preferable for
> many not to have to do this I assume?

freebsd-update its the keyword. Many of our customers could use (and do - most of them are paying peanuts for their IT staff) trained monkeys for system upgrades if they stay on -RELEASE steps.

Alternatively: Use properly versioned binaries and get freebsd-update working on arbitrary versions.

Achim