8 to 9: Kernel modularization -- did it change?

Tue Feb 21 08:16:44 UTC 2012

Quoting Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> (from Mon, 20
Feb 2012 11:57:00 -0500):

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Alexander Leidinger <
> Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:

>> The goal of my work is to produce something like GENERIC+more, just as
>> much as possible loaded as kld's (the "+more" part is the result of a poll
>> I did on stable@, it contains only stuff which can not be loaded as a
>> kld, and I provide a loader.conf which disables the parts which would cause
>> a major change in behavior). Currently I'm doing some compile testing, I
>> should be able to provide something for review soon (on current@).

> I think , inclusion of a scheduler ( 4BSD , ULE , etc. ) selection facility
> into loader.conf
> will be a useful improvement , because it seems that schedulers are not
> equivalent .

The scheduler as is currently a compile time option and can not be
loaded as a module, as such I can not provide such a solution within
my current work (= creating a kernel config which loads everything as
a module what is available as a module _now_).

Bye,
Alexander.