Jumpstart on FreeBSD 9.0

egoitz at ramattack.net egoitz at ramattack.net
Tue Feb 21 09:45:28 UTC 2012

> To get tar to extract the ISOs, I think you need a newer tar. There
> was some conformance issue in makefs.
>
> With respect to the mfsroot, this was something that slipped before
> the 9.0 release. If you want it, the easiest way is to build new
> media
> that use sysinstall (which also makes things identical to 8.x
> releases), which you can do by:
> cd /usr/src
> make -f Makefile.sysinstall release
>
> There are some environment variables you can read about here:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=release&apropos=0&sektion=7&manpath=FreeBSD+8.2-stable&arch=default&format=html
>
> This situation should be corrected for 9.1.
> -Nathan

Good morning,

So for generating new ISOS working with Sysinstall and the previous
mfsroot and so but in 9.0-RELEASE... I should do something like (I paste
the steps I follow for generating updates isos of a release, and here I
apply the change suggested) :

/usr/src and /usr/obj are empty...

/usr/local/bin/cvsup /var/cvsup/cvs-supfile
cd /usr
cvs -R -d /expert/ncvs co -r RELENG_9_0 src
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
mkdir /expert/RELENG90RELEASE
/etc/rc.d/adjkerntz start
adjkerntz -i
cd /usr/src/release/
make -f Makefile.sysinstall release CHROOTDIR=/expert/RELENG90RELEASE
CVSROOT=/expert/ncvs RELEASETAG=RELENG_9_0 MAKE_ISOS=1

This should generate a freebsd releng_9_0 isos with sysinstall and
mfsroot.... and all tools for installing Jumpstart in previous ways,
wich basically where like the pdf I attached, isn't it??... and that I
have sent some time to these lists in order it could help someone
else...

And finally....

How should then the proper way to extract the content of an iso file...
as I said before... I just do (till now and worked fine) : "tar -C
/expert/netboot/freebsd8 -pxvf 8.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso"...

Thanks a lot for all you're great help!!!.

Best Regards,