devd based AUTOMOUNTER

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:38:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM, vermaden <vermaden at interia.pl> wrote:
> new version with new features (and BUGs ;p)
>
> Added check if ntfsfix from sysutils/ntfsprogs is available, if Yes then
> try to fix the NTFS filesystem before mouting it.
>
> Added GPL3 License ... just joking ;) ... added FreeBSD License to the file.
>
> Added 'noatime' as a default mount option when possible.
>
> Added TIMEOUT so when an 'orphan' STATE file lock remains, it will be deleted after a TIMEOUT.
>
> Added /usr/local/etc/devd/automount.devd file instead of messing with the base system config at /etc/devd.conf.
>
> Added config file to be used from /usr/local/etc/automount.conf file, possible options are (these are defaults):
>  MNTPREFIX="/media"
>  LOG="/var/log/automount.log"
>  STATE="/var/run/automount.state"
>  ENCODING="en_US.ISO8859-1"
>  CODEPAGE="cp437"
>  DATEFMT="%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
>  USERUMOUNT="NO"
>
> Mine config currently has only these:
>  ENCODING="pl_PL.ISO8859-2"
>  CODEPAGE="cp852"
>  USERUMOUNT="YES"
>
> The USERMOUNT otions if set to YES (default to NO) will 'chmod +s /sbin/umount',
> so You can click the ^ button on the devices list in NAUTILUS.
>
> These newly mounted devices appear on NAUTILUS sidebar (only with /media prefix).
>
> But THUNAR and PCMANFM does not do that, You know any other FMs that display mounted thumb drives/devices?

Konqueror (KDE 3.x and 4.x) and Dolphin (KDE 4.x mainly, but I believe
there's a KDE 3.x version) also show automatically mounted and
removable media in the sidebar.  Works nicely with HAL.  Haven't
tested your script yet, but am intrigued by it.  Will see if I can
test it sometime this week.

Native solutions are so much nicer than ported ones.  :)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com