8 to 9: Kernel modularization -- did it change?

Olivier Smedts olivier at gid0.org
Mon Feb 20 15:48:06 UTC 2012

2012/2/18  <perryh at pluto.rain.com>:
> Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> veeeeeerrrrryyyyyy sssssllllloooooowwwwww ...
>
> Is it noticeably slower to load (say) a 6MB kernel + 2MB of
> modules than to load an 8MB kernel?  If so, any idea why?

It has been *really* slower to load many files (modules) since I
switched to ZFS on root. I had to build a monolithic kernel to save
10-15s of loading time.

Now I use trasz@'s (CC'ed) patch to speed up the loader, and it seems
maybe as fast as with UFS. I don't know if the patch speeds up things
with UFS, but with ZFS it made a big difference.

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."