8 to 9: Kernel modularization -- did it change?

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 19:34:41 UTC 2012

,--- You/matt (Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:09:38 -0800) ----*
| For what it's worth, it's just a change in GENERIC. It's not hard to
| compile a kernel with different options,

That's what I've been doing for years, with e.g.

    # options 	INET6			# IPv6 communications protocols
    # device		cbb		# cardbus (yenta) bridge
    # device		pccard		# PC Card (16-bit) bus
    # device		cardbus		# CardBus (32-bit) bus

in my kernel configuration on 8; there was no snd_hda there, and this
is why I asked about the possibly new kernel modularization in 9.

| So recompile GENERIC without snd_hda, you're a power user.

Yes, I see it in 9 now:

    uname -sr; grep -iE 'snd|hda' /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
    =>
    FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE

    uname -sr; grep -iE 'snd|hda' /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
    =>
    FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE
    device          snd_es137x      # Ensoniq AudioPCI ES137x
    device          snd_hda         # Intel High Definition Audio
    device          snd_ich         # Intel, NVidia and other ICH AC'97
    Audio
    device          snd_uaudio      # USB Audio
    device          snd_via8233     # VIA VT8233x Audio

The presence of /boot/kernel/snd_hda.ko in 9 did confuse me.

| The handbook is an excellent resource if you've never done it. It's
| actually nice to have a minimal kernel config available for any kind
| of testing. Or reboot a few times, it's not that bad!

That's another thing for me to decide on: as I said, I used to
eliminate building some parts of the kernel but have recently decided
that it might be easier to just use GENERIC -- the resources and sizes
are no longer worth worrying about.

I have a better understanding of the situation now and will do some
adjustments.

Thanks,

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --