BUG: 9.0 stage 2 boot (/boot/boot)

rank1seeker at gmail.com rank1seeker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 07:43:58 UTC 2012

Anyway, after upgrading to 9.0, my USB stick, when created, started to hang at stage 2 boot.
I have a custom setup, where BSD label 'a', has a content of /boot/*
So when 'a' is being hit by stage 2 boot, there is boot.config waiting for it.
After it reads it and displays it's content, it echos 'No' and hangs.

I stare at it and can't believe as boot.config's information is correct!
I hit '?' and it list all files in 'a'.
Then I simply RE-type what is displayed on screen (content of boot.config -> path to loader)
And loader kicks in!

I do this a few times more and EACH time I have to RE-type correct info!
Tested on other machine, same thing.

However, this same custom layout works for HDD's, but NOT for USB stick.

I've extracted binary installs of 8.2 and 9.0 R:
MD5 (8_boot) = adb1e84e96bd434e51cafaaa0ef22584
MD5 (9_boot) = 40f3f6403ebd5e131259d1336b4b50ad

Then:
# gpart bootcode -b 8_boot da0s2
And sudenly that USB stick boots, without ANY other change!
Just an "old" stage 2 boot code, from R8 was enough.

Domagoj Smolčić