[RFT][patch] Scheduling for HTT and not only

Florian Smeets flo at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 16 21:28:51 UTC 2012

On 15.02.12 20:47, Alexander Motin wrote:
> On 02/14/12 00:38, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> I see no much point in committing them sequentially, as they are quite
>> orthogonal. I need to make one decision. I am going on small vacation
>> next week. It will give time for thoughts to settle. May be I indeed
>> just clean previous patch a bit and commit it when I get back. I've
>> spent too much time trying to make these things formal and so far
>> results are not bad, but also not so brilliant as I would like. May be
>> it is indeed time to step back and try some more simple solution.
>
> I've decided to stop those cache black magic practices and focus on
> things that really exist in this world -- SMT and CPU load. I've dropped
> most of cache related things from the patch and made the rest of things
> more strict and predictable:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/sched.htt34.patch
>
> This patch adds check to skip fast previous CPU selection if it's SMT
> neighbor is in use, not just if no SMT present as in previous patches.
>
> I've took affinity/preference algorithm from the first patch and
> improved it. That makes pickcpu() to prefer previous core or it's
> neighbors in case of equal load. That is very simple to keep it, but
> still should give cache hits.
>
> I've changed the general algorithm of topology tree processing. First I
> am looking for idle core on the same last-level cache as before, with
> affinity to previous core or it's neighbors on higher level caches.
> Original code could put additional thread on already busy core, while
> next socket is completely idle. Now if there is no idle core on this
> cache, then all other CPUs are checked.
>
> CPU groups comparison now done in two steps: first, same as before,
> compared summary load of all cores; but now, if it is equal, I am
> comparing load of the less/most loaded cores. That should allow to
> differentiate whether load 2 really means 1+1 or 2+0. In that case group
> with 2+0 will be taken as more loaded than one with 1+1, making group
> choice more grounded and predictable.
>
> I've added randomization in case if all above factors are equal.
>
> As before I've tested this on Core i7-870 with 4 physical and 8 logical
> cores and Atom D525 with 2 physical and 4 logical cores. On Core i7 I've
> got speedup up to 10-15% in super-smack MySQL and PostgreSQL indexed
> select for 2-8 threads and no penalty in other cases. pbzip2 shows up to
> 13% performance increase for 2-5 threads and no penalty in other cases.
>
> Tests on Atom show mostly about the same performance as before in
> database benchmarks: faster for 1 thread, slower for 2-3 and about the
> same for other cases. Single stream network performance improved same as
> for the first patch. That CPU is quite difficult to handle as with mix
> of effective SMT and lack of L3 cache different scheduling approaches
> give different results in different situations.
>
> Specific performance numbers can be found here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/bench.ods
> [...]

I have updated my PostgreSQL [1] and pbzip2 [2] benchmarks. You should
be looking for "ULE+mav-htt33". On a system without HTT this patch is at
least as good as stock ULE and in some cases it's a nice improvement.

Florian

[1]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai0N1xDe3uNAdDRxcVFiYjNMSnJWOTZhUWVWWlBlemc&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=4
[2]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai0N1xDe3uNAdDRxcVFiYjNMSnJWOTZhUWVWWlBlemc&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=2