sem(4) lockup in python?

Jilles Tjoelker jilles at stack.nl
Sun Feb 5 19:00:32 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 01:32:42PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Feb 2012, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > On 5 February 2012 11:44, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>    'make MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=1' is the workground used right now..

> > David Xu suggested that it is a bug in Python - it doesn't set
> > process-shared attribute when it calls sem_init(), but i've tried
> > patching it (replacing the port patchfile file the one I've attached)
> > and I still get the hang.

> I don't understand how process shared semaphores can work.  Perhaps
> I'm dumb and ignorant, but a sem_id_t is an allocated struct.   The
> actual kernel sem_id is inside the struct.  Isn't this the same
> reason pthread_mutex_t and pthread_cond_t cannot be process-shared?

That's how the old implementation works. It does not support
process-shared semaphores although they may happen to work in some
specific cases.

However, in 9.0, sem_t works differently and contains the actual lock
word directly, so that process-shared semaphores work. The
implementation is in lib/libc/gen/sem_new.c. The pshared flag to
sem_init() is not a no-op because it tells the kernel to allow for use
from multiple processes.

Note that the old implementation is still present as well, for
compatibility with old binaries.

--
Jilles Tjoelker