FreeBSD Kernel Internals, lecture video

Royce Williams royce.williams at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 14:56:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Maxim Khitrov <max at mxcrypt.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 26 Aug 2012 13:15, "Wojciech Puchar" <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> very expensive..
> >
> > Training and education generally are.
>
> It's still very expensive. $100 I can understand, but $1000 for individuals?
>
> Take a look at the courses available on coursera.org, all for free.
> Take a look at the prices for video/audio courses on
> thegreatcourses.com. Combined with the fact that these videos were
> recorded from lectures given to an in-person audience, rather than
> produced specifically for home viewing, IMHO the price is quite
> unreasonable.

These videos are the equivalent of learning about the Constitution
from its framers.   While some Coursera courses can say the same, they
appear to be relatively few.

This is also probably a significant portion of Kirk's income.  Unlike
the universities represented in Coursera, he has no regular day job
that I'm aware of.  He has no university infrastructure and funding
model that is already paying him to create these courses (and just
capturing them on the side for online use).

Finally, he offers discounts:

"Please note that I offer a 25% discount to people that can make a
plausible hardship case and a 50% discount to full-time students.
Please contact me at mckusick at mckusick.com to verify that you qualify
and to get instructions on how to order at the discounted price."

I think that this all adds up to the pricing being quite fair.

Royce