Build 32 bit binaries on amd64

Tijl Coosemans tijl at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 22 20:10:46 UTC 2012

On 21-08-2012 17:04, Dan McGregor wrote:
> My solution is certainly fairly hacky, I just took inspiration from
> NetBSD. I wanted to see if it could be done.  While I was there I did
> identify several files that should be common between i386 and amd64,
> such as exec.h.
>
> Since reading your email I started looking at the x86 common code,
> and have made some more code common; specifically asm.h ans
> ucontext.h.  I'll be putting that on github shortly.
>
> Since it does look like tijl hasn't committed anything since March,
> I would like to co-operate and see what his plans were.  The idea of
> merging the i386 and amd64 headers into a common area seems like a
> better idea to me.

For now my goal was to merge headers that can be used by user code so
it can be compiled with -m32. Eventually, I think it would be nice to
merge all headers and install x86/ as machine/ for both i386 and amd64.
That would make the x86 headers similar to powerpc and mips headers
(and arm when 64bit support is added there).

I think I still have one or two (untested) patches. I'll have a look at
it during the weekend.