Replacing BIND with unbound

Vitaly Magerya vmagerya at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:23:47 UTC 2012

Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 07/07/2012 16:33, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>> The utilities (specifically host(1) and dig(1)) are the only
>> user-visible interfaces I care about.
[...]
> ldns (a dependency of unbound) comes with drill, which is a dig-alike
> tool. I'd like to see us produce a host-alike based on ldns as well,

If there still is interest, I've got just that at [1]. This tool,
ldns-host, implements all the options of bind9-host (except for
debugging ones), and produces close (and often identical) output.

There's a list of differences between ldns-host and bind9-host
in the man page (see [2]); most items can be fixed if people
will request for it. Some more exotic situations where not tested
though, so that list is only partial.

[1] http://hg.tx97.net/ldns-host/file/
[2] http://manweb.tx97.net/http://hg.tx97.net/ldns-host/raw-file/tip/ldns-host.1