CVE-2012-0217 Intel's sysret Kernel Privilege Escalation and FreeBSD 6.2/6.3

Bill Crisp bcrisp at crispernetworks.com
Mon Aug 6 13:08:37 UTC 2012

Thanks for the patch!

I gave it a try on a few servers, and saw a big increase in load on the
servers, most of the load comes from apache under normal circumstances and
it that load did go up a lot.  I had to roll back the patched kernel and
the load went back to what it normally is.  Did you experience anything
similar on any servers?  On a server where the load was ~1 it went up with
what seemed to be the same number of requests to something like ~6 or so on
a single core servers.  Ones that had higher load already also went up
considerably.  Any ideas on what I might be able to do?

Let me know if you have a chance.