Ways to promote FreeBSD?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 23:13:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Steven Hartland <killing at multiplay.co.uk>wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mehmet Erol Sanliturk"
>
>  My opinion is that most important obstacle in front of FreeBSD is its
>> installation structure :
>>

>> It is NOT possible to install and use a FreeBSD distribution directly as
>> it
>> is .
>>

> I disagree, we find quite the opposite; FreeBSD's current install is
> perfect
> its quick, doesn't install stuff we don't need and leaves a very nice base.
>
> Linux on the other had takes ages, asks way to many questions, has issues
> with some hardware with mouse and gui not work properly making the
> install difficult to navigate, but most import its quite hard to get a
> nice simple
> base as there are so many options, which is default with FreeBSD.
>
> In essence it depends on what you want and how you use the OS. For
> the way we use FreeBSD on our servers its perfect. So if your trying
> to suggest its not suitable for all that's is incorrect as it depends on
> what
> you want :)
>
>   Regards
>   Steve

As I mentioned in my previous messages , the new bsdinstall is a very nice
and very good installer .
My ideas are not about goodness of installer programs , but related to
installation structure especially for desktop users . Therefore , it is not
suitable to mix these concepts .

I am NOT claiming that Linux is better than FreeBSD . I find such
comparisons very useless .
Each has its advantages and disadvantages .

Some Linux distributions require much knowledge for install than FreeBSD
requirements .
Some distributions are very good for installation structure for desktop
users ( for example , Fedora , Mandriva , Mageia , Debian , and some others
)

If I repeat once more , I am talking about usage easiness after default
installation of FreeBSD by ordinary ( means NOT being computing expert )
new desktop users . It is obvious that if any one attempts to install and
maintain a server  , it is likely that she or he is much more knowledgeable
than a new user .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk