Fwd: [gsoc2012] Port NetBSD's UDF implementation

Yongcong Du ycdu.vmcore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 01:48:13 UTC 2012

cc hackers@

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Yongcong Du <ycdu.vmcore at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Subject: [gsoc2012] Port NetBSD's UDF implementation
To: avg at freebsd.org, netchild at freebsd.org

Hi Andriy and Alexander,

Firstly, let me introduce myself;) I'm a graduate student from Shanghai,
timezone: GMT+8.

I began to use FreeBSD and programing under it from 2009. 5 years
experience in *nix posix C programing and 2 years experience in linux
kernel programing. I have some experience in linux udf filesystem during
one intern job -- add read_12 support which is similar as
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg441227%28v=vs.85%29.aspx,
but in an ugly hack way ;) and some hacks to improve the read performance.

I want to take "Port NetBSD's UDF implementation (GSoC)" as my gsoc2012
project. Have anyone taken it?seems no according david_chi on freebsd-soc?
I did some homework about this project:
1. the udf was implemeted in FreeBSD firstly then ported to NetBSD, the
supported revisions is old. Then Reinoud Zandijk implemented most of UDF
features and write support win latest udf revision in mind.
2. The work includes kernel (sys/fs/udf) source code and userland
mount_udf. And can be completed by either sync the FreeBSD's implementation
with NetBSD's or port NetBSD's from scratch. I like the second method. Any
suggestions?
3. The difficulty of this project is how to resolve the lock, vm and vfs
subsystem difference between NetBSD and FreeBSD. Would you please give some
suggestions about it?

Thanks in advance,
Yongcong