/usr/src -> make doesn't recognize target when '-f -' is used

h h aakuusta at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 07:04:24 UTC 2011

(examples are probably useful for the archive, too)

rank1seeker at gmail.com writes:

>> According to make(1) manpage, it reads BSDmakefile, makefile or Makefile
>> unless -f is specified.
>
> Well, via STDIN, I've attempted to feed it, with syntaks from a 'make.conf'
> file, so I wouldn't have to provide file, via __MAKE_CONF.

So, did the example with __MAKE_CONF=/dev/stdin help? It allows you to
omit specifying makefile via `-f' or `.include'. More examples

  # append CFLAGS by overriding make.conf
  $ echo 'CFLAGS += -DDEBUG_LOCKS' | __MAKE_CONF=/dev/stdin make buildworld

  # append make.conf even if __MAKE_CONF is defined but empty
  $ (cat ${__MAKE_CONF-/etc/make.conf} /dev/null; echo 'CFLAGS += -DDEBUG_LOCKS') \