my git development snapshot(s)

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 20 15:34:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:34 AM, Fabien Thomas <fabien.thomas at netasq.com> wrote:
> git merge-base upstream/svn_trunk upstream/svn_stable_8
> does not work.

Ditto here.

> it seems that at some point in time it was working.
> (upstream = live tree, origin = my sandbox)
> I will need to dig a little more to understand the problem.

Here's an observation that may be relevant.

Some time back repository had much deeper history. Then at one point
remote branches got forcefully updated during 'git fetch origin'. Once
that happened, new svn_stable_8 branch had completely separate one
from the one that was in the clone before the fetch. History also got
trimmed and would only go as deep as ~2009. I suspected that history
depth was trimmed in the original repository. The same trim could've
'disconnected' branches from the trunk, too.

--Artem