intel checksum offload

Arnaud Lacombe lacombar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 05:37:35 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Jack Vogel <jfvogel at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> If you notice, the Linux driver did not enable multiqueue on the hardware
> either, so do you think a whole department of software engineers backed
> by the hardware engineers who designed the damn thing might have had
> a reason?

Let's find out :-)

In the mean time, as a hacker, I'd be interested to know why the NVM
ships with MSI_X_NUM == 2 at offset 0x1b when the datasheet say it
does support up value to 4 ? This might be as simple as "the hardware
needs special wiring to support 5 vectors.", or whatever...

> IN FACT, as I have a bit more freedom with FreeBSD, I went ahead and
> tried it for a while just because I could, implementing the code was not
> difficult. Over time however that code proved to be a source of instability
> and thus was disabled.

It would be interesting for the records to have this information
public, especially the kind of instability seen.

> I have heard a rumor that the Linux crew may actually be trying a second
> time to make it work, and that might give me cause to look at it again too,
> but its not clear if I'll have time with other priorities.

ack.

Now, what about header-split support in em(4) ?

Thanks,
 - Arnaud