FIB separation

Alexander V. Chernikov melifaro at ipfw.ru
Wed Sep 7 13:42:02 UTC 2011

On 07.09.2011 11:17, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 7/16/11 5:43 AM, Vlad Galu wrote:
>> Hello,

Hello!
>> A couple of years ago, Stef Walter proposed a patch[1] that enforced
>> the scope of routing messages. The general consesus was that the best
>> approach would be the OpenBSD way - transporting the FIB number in the
>> message and letting the user applications filter out unwanted messages.
>>
>> Are there any plans to tackle this before 9.0?
>
> I haven't really been following this unfortunately but I see at least
> part got done. (ifconfig)
Yes, it is committed as r223735 and r223741. Unfortunately this is not
(directly) related to routing socket. kern/134931 still remains as it is.

> is there anything we need to do before 9.0 that is small but would make
> a big difference?
> (i.e. fixes, tweaks)
rtsock is a great candidate :)

> Julian
>
> One thing that I haven't done and I only recently remembered, was the
> ability to have a socket inherit
> it's fib from the incoming connection SYN instead of from the socket
> opening process.
It is a very good idea to have such possibility but it has to be
controlled at least by some sort of sysctl or even per-socket ioctl
(turned off by default)