Does anyone use nscd?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Oct 4 15:37:24 UTC 2011

Does anyone actually use nscd?

I ask because when I cleaned up a slew of aliasing bugs a couple of
years ago, I believe I may have introduced a bug; I got exactly two
complaints, and neither of the complainants could be bothered to try the
workaround I suggested and report back.

Although the code quality is atrocious, nscd is actually a pretty good
idea.  I suspect the reason why nobody uses it is that it's off by
default and people simply don't know about it.  Besides nuking it, which
would be a shame, we have a range of options, from "just fixing the bug
so those who want to use it can" in one end to "finding someone willing
to clean it up and maintain it and enable it by default" in the other.

(no, I'm not volunteering to maintain it)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no