my git development snapshot(s)

Fabien Thomas fabien.thomas at netasq.com
Mon Oct 3 08:01:30 UTC 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 11:26 PM, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 15:52:43 -0400, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I'll throw mine in as well:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/uqs/freebsd-head/branches
>>>
>> is that the same as tree as Fabien's, or a new snapshot ?
>>
>> If not, couldn't we agree to have all the same tree in order to ease
>> code sharing between all of them ?
>>
>> I see there is already a https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd tree,
>> which seem different than Fabien's tree on github. It really look like
>> The FreeBSD Project (https://github.com/freebsd/) is not able to
>> provide consistency.
>
> The freebsd-head tree is the same that everybody in the world can get by
> simply running git svn clone against the FreeBSD subversion server
> (you'd need a lot of patience, though).
>
> It's also available from git.freebsd.your.org and on code.google.com
> (except that Google's git backend sucks ass).
>
> Fabien's tree is cut off at an arbitrary date and if you happen to
> choose a different date, well you cannot merge any branches with that
> repository.

No it was not cut at all it have been made at a time where github
dont allow large repo for free. All the branches >= 4.11 was in and
with full history from rev 1.
As Arnaud told me it seems at some point in time that at least
stable_8 branch was broken.

To be sure there is no other branches like this i've rebuilded
the repo and done a git push --force on Gitorious.

The effect of merge for people that use it is that git will not
successfully merge the tree as the history is not the
same (for stable_8 at least).

To solve that i've done:
git merge -Xtheirs upstream/svn_stable_8 on my reference branch
(that dont contain modifications). After that, merging from this
branch will be ok.

As more and more people use git i hope that at some point in
time we will have an official repo hosted on FreeBSD servers.

Fabien