FreeBSD on ARM Cortex board [Was: Porting FreeBSD to Raspberry Pi]

Ben Gray ben.r.gray at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 19:26:17 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 02:51, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Starting a new thread, added Ben Gray to the Cc: list]
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Arnaud Lacombe<lacombar at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Nate Dobbs<misconfiguration at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> I agree with groggy, something I'd personally use it for is a small SSH
>>> server to allow a pinhole into my home network. It would serve as a very
>>> good replacement for the mac mini that's sitting in my DMZ simply handling
>>> connections for my SSH tunnel so I can bypass the proxy at work.
>>>
>>> Power savings would be significant and it would be plenty powerful to handle
>>> this task. A small webcam server comes to mind as well; there could be
>>> plenty of useful things I could think of outside the realm of multimedia.
>>>
>> you certainly want:
>>
>> http://beagleboard.org/bone
>>
>> $89, 700MHz Cortex A8, 256MB DRR2, micro-SD. However, do not expect
>> being able to run FreeBSD on it before a few years :)
>>
> actually, some initial work has been started by Ben Gray:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard-freebsd/
>
> and
>
> https://gitorious.org/+freebsd-omap-team/freebsd/freebsd-omap/
>
>   - Arnaud
Hi, while it's true that I've done some initial porting work to the
beagleboard and pandaboard it's not entirely ready to go. The port
contains many hacks and bits of uglyness (is that a word?), anyway just
a warning, you can take that code and boot a kernel but userspace tends
to crash, which makes the whole thing pretty useless.  Also the code is
written for the beagleboard and pandaboard, not the beaglebone, which
contains a different lower spec SoC, however I expect a lot of
components are similar and therefore I imagine most of the drivers could
be reused.

The bright news - I was recently contacted by a bloke called Oliver
Houchard who has picked up my code and started merging it into the
armv6/7 branch.  Once that is done and debugged I think the support
should be pretty good and should in theory work directly out of the box
(svn).

Cheers, Ben.