Porting FreeBSD to Raspberry Pi

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 4 01:56:02 UTC 2011

On Thursday,  3 November 2011 at 21:05:54 -0400, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Please read what I said correctly, I said "this ARM11 is obsolete"
>>> (even if still used, for sure) ...
>>
>> Clearly price is an issue for this device.  What's so bad about ARM11
>> that it shouldn't be used?
>>
> If you read my original comment, I did point out the $25 price tag was
> pretty much the only interesting thing. Now, what it has been designed
> for, multimedia, is going to be handled by a closed-source binary blob
> without datasheet, so let me turn back the question: what do you
> expect doing with it ?

That's not turning back the question; that's a separate question.  But
it's a good one.  I don't really see it as a multimedia device.  My
interest would be in little embedded agents in different parts of the
house, for things like measuring temperatures.  I'm sure lots of other
applications will come to mind.

And yes, I'll probably use the supplied Linux port.  But if a FreeBSD
alternative becomes available, I'd certainly prefer that.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.