Mount_nfs question

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue May 31 16:56:19 UTC 2011

> Maybe you can use "showmount -a SERVER-IP", foreach server you have...

That might work. NFS doesn't actually have a notion of a "mount", but
the mount protocol daemon (typically called mountd) does try and keep
track of NFSv3 mounts from the requests it sees. How well this works for
NFSv3 will depend on how well the server keeps track of these things and
how easily they are lost during a server reboot or similar.

Since NFSv4 doesn't use the mount protocol, it will be useless for NFSv4.

> Thiago
> 2011/5/30 Mark Saad <nonesuch at longcount.org>:

> >> Just fire up wireshark (or tcpdump) and watch the traffic. tcpdump
> >> doesn't know much about NFS, but if al you want are the IP#s, it'll
> >> do.
> >>
> >> But, no, mount won't tell you more than what the argument looked
> >> like.
> >>
> >> rick
> >>
> > Wireshark seams like using a tank to swap a fly.

Maybe, but watching traffic isn't that scary and over the years I've
discovered things I would have never expected from doing it. Like a
case where one specific TCP segment was being dropped by a network
switch (it was a hardware problem in the switch that didn't manifest
itself any other way). Or, that one client was generating a massive
number of Getattr and Lookup RPCs. (That one turned out to be a grad
student who had made themselves an app. that had a bunch of threads
continually scanning to fs changes. Not a bad idea, but the threads
never took a break and continually did it.)

I've always found watching traffic kinda fun, but then I'm weird, rick