double fault panic while using gdb amd64 (remote debugging)

vasanth raonaik vasanth.raonaik at gmail.com
Fri May 27 23:40:32 UTC 2011

Hello hackers,

I see a "double fault" error on the console while remote debugging a freebsd
kernel 6.1 on amd64 the moment I press continue on a break point.

I googled and found similar query but couldn't find a solution to this
issue. Is this a known issue? Has there been any fix made for this issue in
the latest freebsd?

here is the email that I found while searching.

http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?23,183241

=================

Hi,

I have looked at archives but with no output.

I am running freebsd7.2 amd64 as a virtual machine(VM) in vmware ESX
server. I have configured remote gdb to debug the kernel modules. My
problem is that whenever the breakpoint is hit and the I issue next or
step kernel panics with "double fault" error. This configuration was
working for 32-bit machine very well. I am trying to debug the tmpfs
module.

Panic message on console is:

Fatal double fault

rip = 0xffffffff80552be1

rsp = 0xffffffff006f5000

rbp = 0xffffffff006f5000

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00

panic: double fault

cpuid = 0

Uptime: 1h16m8s

Physical memory: 4555 MB

Dumping 207 MB: 192 176 160 144 128 112 96 80 64 48 32 16

Dump complete

I tried searching this problem on google also but with no help.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mayank