[rfc] a few kern.mk and bsd.sys.mk related changes

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Fri May 27 18:14:59 UTC 2011

On Fri May 27 11, Warner Losh wrote:
> These look generally good.  Just one thing I had a question on:
>
>  #
> +# Enable FreeBSD kernel-specific printf format specifiers. Also instruct gcc to
> +# enable some diagnostics, which make it easier to pinpoint tinderbox failures.
> +CFLAGS+=	-fformat-extensions -fdiagnostics-show-option
> +
>
> Does this put sand in the gears of clang support?

i don't think so. the code that features -fformat-extensions support is freebsd
specific and gets plugged into the vendor code during every new import. dim@
and rdivacky@ have been discussing the possibility of getting this committed
upstream as something like -ffreebsd-extensions, but they haven't decided, yet.

regarding -fdiagnostics-show-option: this is intended purely for gcc, since it
is disabled per default. under clang the flag exists, too, but it is enabled by
default. so specifying it under clang is pretty much a nop.

cheers.
alex

> Warner
>

> On May 27, 2011, at 5:51 AM, Alexander Best wrote:
>
> > hi there,
> >
> > i would like to hear people's opinion regarding the following patch. it
> > features the following semantic changes:
> >
> > 1) -W is now called -Wextra
> > 2) move -fformat-extensions and -fdiagnostics-show-option out of CWARNFLAGS,
> >   since they aren't really warnings. this will now let anybody use custom
> >   CWARNFLAGS without having to remember to add -fformat-extensions in order
> >   not to break buildworld.
> > 3) rearrange "\" characters, as to avoid double spaces
> > 4) when building kernel modules, -fstack-protector was added to CFLAGS twice.
> >   this should now be solved.
> >
> > cheers.
> > alex
> >
> > --