DEBUG - analysing core dumps

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Wed May 25 17:06:46 UTC 2011

Hello list,

We've got these boxes at work running FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE amd64 and
serving as firewalls and openvpn gateways.

We use CARP interfaces to provide an active-passive fault tolerant system.

Today, we received a nagios alert from the master box saying it's
rsyslogd process had crashed.

I logged on to it and tried to relaunch it, to no avail:
pid 2303 (rsyslogd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

I would like advice on how to debug the output from the core dump.

This is what I get from gdb:

# gdb
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "amd64-marcel-freebsd".
(gdb) core rsyslogd.core
Core was generated by `rsyslogd'.
#0  0x00000000004258ec in ?? ()

Sadly, getting a backtrace with "bt" gives me more lines with "??",
which is totally not helpful:
[SNIP]
#13 0x00007fffff1f9d70 in ?? ()
#14 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
#15 0x6f70732f7261762f in ?? ()
#16 0x6c737973722f6c6f in ?? ()
#17 0x5f6e70766f2f676f in ?? ()
#18 0x746174732e676f6c in ?? ()
#19 0x0000000000000065 in ?? ()
#20 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
[SNIP]

I am not sure what steps I should follow to get more information ?

Also, I believe that often, core dumps with signal 11 = RAM problems and
I would like a confirmation here.

I am concerned because rsyslogd is the only process that crashes in this
way, even after I rebooted the firewall.

Thanks for your input :)

--
dfl