porting third-party build system to bsd.kmod.mk

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Sat May 21 06:29:54 UTC 2011

After getting a few pointers from jhb at BSDCan on what a
bsd.kmod.mk-using Makefile should look like, I have been trying my hand at
porting the OpenAFS kernel module build system to use it.  (The main thing
this gets us is not having to manually track version- and
architecture-dependent CFLAGS and the like.)  However, the path is not
exactly smooth.

A lot of the difficulty is in getting an autogenerated vnode_if.h while
using a list of files to include in the module(from the common OpenAFS
code) that's given as a list of object files.  If there's already a
vnode_if.h sitting around, I can just use OBJS and things progress quite
nicely; however, if I have to get back to SRCS for the use of
sys/conf/kmod.mk's vnode_if.h logic, I get this sort of build failure
(full log attached) with the attached Makefile:
gcc -I. -I.. -I../nfs [more includes and defines]
-I/usr/devel/openafs/git/openafs/include/afs -I@/sys -Imachine -I. -I@
-I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100
--param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -fno-omit-frame-pointer
-mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone -mfpmath=387 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse
-mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables
-ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector
-Wno-redundant-decls -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wno-pointer-sign -o
osi_crypto.o -c /usr/devel/openafs/git/openafs/src/afs/FBSD/osi_crypto.c
/usr/devel/openafs/git/openafs/src/libafs/MODLOAD/../../afs/FBSD/osi_crypto.c
vnode_if.h
gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S with multiple files

That last bit, "-o osi_crypto.o -c /path/to/osi_crypto.c
/path/to/osi_crypto.c vnode_if.h" is quite troublesome.  Any thoughts on
what is causing those extra files to be listed would be greatly
appreciated.  (Comments on other issues in the Makefile are welcome, too
-- it's still in pretty rough shape.)

I should note that though Makefile.common does define a osi_crypto.o
target, "make -d A" reports:
         using existing source
/usr/devel/openafs/git/openafs/src/afs/FBSD/osi_crypto.c
         applying .c -> .o to "osi_crypto.o"

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk