Disk quota reporting for usage >2TB

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu May 19 22:26:40 UTC 2011

I recently found that, running FreBSD/i386 stable/8 as of around
r221857, the disk quota subsystem appears to overflow & wrap as it
crosses the 2TB mark.

Evidence:  I ran a task in a loop, invoking "quota -h" after each
iteration.  Each invocation should write about 114.2GB to the file
system.  Eliding redundant headers, a relevant excerpt of the output,
along with "df -h" output for the file system in question:

Disk quotas for user ,...] (uid 9874):
     Filesystem   usage   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
             /d    1.8T      0B      0B         25217562       0       0
             /d    1.9T      0B      0B         26793658       0       0
             /d     14G      0B      0B         28369755       0       0
             /d    815G      0B      0B         39402435       0       0

Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/mfid1     15T    2.8T     11T    19%    /d

Now, this is a machine I'm testing -- I'm the only one writing to
that file system (other than the quota.user file).

Now, I don't have a defined quota; the intent is not to use the quota
subsystem to restrict how myuch disk space folks use, but rather, to use
it to measure and track the usage.

For this purpose, I really have no particular desire for precision to
the KB; precision could easily be as coarse as to the GB and still be
useful -- for this purpose, under these circumstances.

Does anyone see a way to use the disk quota subsystem to track storage
>2TB on a single (UFS2) file system?

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.