[RFC] Replacing our regex implementation

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at tutopia.com
Mon May 9 01:12:45 UTC 2011

Hello;

Thanks Gabor for this cool project!

--- On Sun, 5/8/11, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor at kovesdan.org> wrote:
> - It doesn't provide the REG_STARTEND macro, which is our
> non-POSIX extension. Still, it is useful and easy to
> implement so it is not a problem either.

Our sed requires REG_STARTEND (the illumos guys noted so
when they ported our sed).

While on this you should also look at bin/153257 and check
if TRE supports the sysv legacy delimiters. FWIW, the now
defunct lang/gpc used those delimiters to distinguish
between our sed and GNU sed. There are still more than 20
ports that depend on gsed.

> Now I'm working on this little feature and on building a
> libc with TRE. After that I'll publish a patch for testing
> and will also ask portmgr to run it on the cluster.

It may be interesting, although unnecessarily risky, to
see if diff can also use libtre (it uses GNU regex now),
but you will probably want to see this as a future step.
(NEVERMIND.. you explained this right ahead ;) )

> 3, Adding support for GNU-specific permissive regex syntax
> GNU grep accepts regexes that are invalid in POSIX, like
> [a|]. This is necessary for grep and diff in the base
> system. If we don't have them we can never trow out the GNU
> regex implementation. However, we should not make them
> default, so I'm thinking of implementing them somewhere
> else, e.g. in the previously mentioned library.
>
> So far, these are the plans, please comments if you have
> something in your mind about it.

Sounds good!

Pedro.