[UPDATE] New Boot-Loader Menu -- version 1.1

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue May 3 17:35:45 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, May 03, 2011 12:31:14 pm Devin Teske wrote:

> On May 3, 2011, at 4:45 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> > On Monday, May 02, 2011 8:48:31 pm Devin Teske wrote:
> >> This version (1.1) works nearly identically to the standard menu that ships with
> >> FreeBSD in that it detects whether ACPI is enabled (truth be told, I actually
> >> re-used the "acpienabled?" function verbatim from /boot/beastie.4th by Scott
> >> Long and Aleksander Fafula). The ACPI detection of my boot loader (version 1.1
> >> or higher) should be identical to the detection of the current boot-loader.
>
> Ugh. By "current", I meant 8.1-RELEASE (wasn't expecting this stuff to be different in HEAD, which it is).
>

> > Err, note that the acpienabled stuff is all different in HEAD than in 7/8
> > since acpi.ko no longer exists.  You should use the scheme from HEAD for
> > handling ACPI present vs ACPI enabled/disabled.
> >
> > --
> > John Baldwin
>

> Ok, I see the new "acpipresent?" word (which replaces the "arch-i386"
> environment-test). Does this imply that we're going to support ACPI on
> non-i386 platforms (or already do)?

amd64 and ia64 have always supported ACPI.  ia64 effectively requires it.
However, "hint.acpi.0.rsdp" is set by biosacpi.c in the i386 loader bits,
so other platforms will not set it, so the arch-i386 test is no longer
needed.

> I also see the rewritten "acpienabled?" word. Nice. I'll slurp it in to
> make my ACPI detection the same as HEAD.
>
> I also performed some backward compatibility tests. Looks like this will be
> backward compatible with 8.1-RELEASE (loader_version == 11). However, the
> code in HEAD appears to not work in 8.0-RELEASE (loader_version == 8).

Hmm, which part does not work in 8.0?  arch-i386 has existed since at least
4.x I thought, and the ACPI bits have been setting hint.acpi.0.rsdp since 7.0
(sys/boot/i386/libi386/biosacpi.c CVS rev 1.12 added it).

--
John Baldwin