[RELEASE] New Boot-Loader Menu

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Sun May 1 03:11:13 UTC 2011

Devin,

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 04:00:47PM -0700, Devin Teske wrote:

>> Would be nice: "uname -v" of the kernel it will boot.
>
>That's a bit more technically challenging. I'll have another look at the
>FICL words available, but I don't recall if there was a way to crawl the
>object space of the items loaded with ``load'' (looking for the uname). I'm
>open to suggestions if you had an idea of how to do this in Forth -- else
>I'd think this would need to be a loader(8) modification.

How about forgetting a mention of unmae & ... instead look into if we
can support some sort of bootcode versioning to be displayed on the
screen. This would serve to be very helpful in the future when for say a
new version of bootcode for ZFS has to be installed then it would be
easy for announce@ to simply say "A new version of ZFS has been MFCd and
requires boot version >= X. To find out your version please see the
bottom right hand corner of your boot screen."

I would place a pretty good bet that loader(8) could be modified to
export some sort of versioning of the bootcode to make this a easier
stance for the user to gather information before a upgrade.

--

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal