Switching to [KMGTPE]i prefixes?

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Thu Mar 31 20:40:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:13:04AM +0000, Alexander Best wrote:
> On Fri Mar 25 11, Bruce Cran wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 00:21:15 +0000
> > Alexander Best <arundel at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > > i hacked up humanized_number(3) a bit in order to produce the
> > > following df(1) output:
> > > [...]
> > > 4.2Gi   4.2Gi      0B   100%       0     0  100%   /media/dvd
> >
> > I don't know if it's correct, but Snow Leopard uses "Bi" for bytes.
>
> hmmm...i'm wondering why they do that. there's no reason for that, because
> 1 bytes is 8 bit no matter if you use a power of one or a power of ten.

Given the output above it would only be safe to assume that you are
refering to a BLOCKSIZE=K when denoting size as "Gi". It would be more
proper if this was to denote the size as "GiB" so the end result can be
determined whether or not it is really "Gib".

"[X]i" in it self does not signify the size of the data by which the
result was calculated but only that the result has been calculated by
1024^N and seems to have been a mislead representation by other OS's.

So whether were using BLOCKSIZE of "b B K M G T P..." can we adjust this
so it displays the increment correctly please ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
[...]