(free)(open)IPMI tools in base

Matthew Jacob mj at feral.com
Thu Mar 31 00:26:40 UTC 2011

I don't think that this is a good idea for a number of reasons. IPMI is
not nearly as prevalent as one might think it is, it is not a true
standard (Intel only), and there are a variety of good toolsets that are
very easy to install. Finally, users of IPMI are sophisticated enough to
install it when they need it and want it. I can't think of a case where
a novice end user needs it and isn't delivered a box preconfigured.