E-Mail if updates available?

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 09:16:01 UTC 2011

On 30/03/2011 06:31, Jo Galara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on Debian I'm using apticron which sends me an email if there are
> updates available for installed packages. Is there a similar program for
> FreeBSD?

Hi,

I use ports rather than packages, so a combination of a cron for
portsnap to update the portstree (at some silly time so I wont
accidentally update ports while portsnap is doing stuff to the ports
tree, see the manpage.) and  "portmaster -L | grep New"  I dont cron it
but you could easily enough, (portmaster is ports-mgmt/portmaster , you
could use the tools from ports-mgmt/portupgrade of you prefer.)

Oh and I'd suggest freebsd-questions as a better list for this kind of
query.

Vince