Using mergemaster to keep /etc/localtime updated

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 28 21:41:26 UTC 2011

I'm starting a new thread since while the previous one contained a lot
of good information it was starting to get a big fragmented, and as
someone pointed out mergemaster is not a general solution so I want to
focus on the area that I'm actually responsible for. :)

Having read everything in the thread (and thanks to all who contributed,
btw) my current plan is to add some code to the end (in the section that
deals with things like running cap_mkdb if you update login.conf) to do
the following. Please let me know if this sounds reasonable, or if I'm
missing something:

1. If /var/db/zoneinfo exists, check to see if /etc/localtime is the
same as /usr/share/`cat /var/db/zoneinfo` and if not, prompt the user to
run tzsetup.
2. If /var/db/zoneinfo does not exist, check to see if kern.osreldate is
after the date that the code was added, and if so, prompt the user to
run tzsetup.
3. If /var/db/zoneinfo does not exist, and the new code has not been
added yet, attempt to determine the right answer, and create a
/var/db/zoneinfo file. (Note, I do not look forward to writing that bit.) :)

Sound reasonable?

Doug

			-- OK Go