New Boot-Loader

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Mon Mar 28 15:51:13 UTC 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 7:03 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Monday, March 28, 2011 12:48:03 am Devin Teske wrote:
>> Hi fellow hackers,
>>
>> I'm designing an open-sourced replacement boot-loader for FreeBSD. I feel
>> that the existing options in the boot-loader menu today can be whittled down
>> significantly with a stateful menu system rather than a single-action item
>> menu system.
>
> Are you reimplementing loader from scratch or just hacking on the 4th scripts
> to display the menu, etc.?

The menu is implemented as a series of 4th modules. Here's an earlier version of the code which I've been using on my LiveDistro boot disc:

druidbsd.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/druidbsd/druidbsd/druidbsd/mdroot/boot/

>> In designing the new menu, I'd like to get your opinions. From old:
>>
>> 	FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE: twitpic.com/4e485w
>>
>> to new:
>>
>> 	Replacement Boot-Loader: twitpic.com/4e46ol
>>
>> NOTE: The final release will have a single-user mode option.
>>
>> The new menu allows for more flexibility as selecting options 2 ("Boot
>> Verbose") or 3 ("ACPI Support") independently toggles the status, updates the
>> menu item, and redisplays the menu -- ever-waiting until the user ultimately
>> presses ENTER, "1", or escapes to the prompt and types "boot". Thus, one could
>> potentially launch single-user mode with verbosity on and ACPI disabled (if
>> one so desired).
>
> This is good.  I think DFly already does this and I had a low priority item on
> my todo list to eventually implement this in the current menu myself.

I think you'll like the Forth code that I've written. I strived to keep it clean and modular. IMHO I feel that it's really easy to change/enhance/extend based on the menu mechanics as seen in "menu.rc", and "include/menu-commands.4th".

--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> FUN STUFF <-
http://www.geekcode.com/

-> END TRANSMISSION <-