New Boot-Loader

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 28 14:21:03 UTC 2011

On Monday, March 28, 2011 12:48:03 am Devin Teske wrote:
> Hi fellow hackers,
>
> I'm designing an open-sourced replacement boot-loader for FreeBSD. I feel
that the existing options in the boot-loader menu today can be whittled down
significantly with a stateful menu system rather than a single-action item
menu system.

Are you reimplementing loader from scratch or just hacking on the 4th scripts
to display the menu, etc.?

> In designing the new menu, I'd like to get your opinions. From old:
>
> 	FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE: twitpic.com/4e485w
>
> to new:
>
> 	Replacement Boot-Loader: twitpic.com/4e46ol
>
> NOTE: The final release will have a single-user mode option.
>
> The new menu allows for more flexibility as selecting options 2 ("Boot
Verbose") or 3 ("ACPI Support") independently toggles the status, updates the
menu item, and redisplays the menu -- ever-waiting until the user ultimately
presses ENTER, "1", or escapes to the prompt and types "boot". Thus, one could
potentially launch single-user mode with verbosity on and ACPI disabled (if
one so desired).

This is good.  I think DFly already does this and I had a low priority item on
my todo list to eventually implement this in the current menu myself.

--
John Baldwin