Prebind from OpenBSD

Mon Mar 28 09:20:19 UTC 2011

Quoting Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca> (from Sun, 27 Mar 2011
17:29:20 -0300):

> Thanks very much for the reply. I had thought this was a project/port
> that was in progress, rather than something waiting on research. Do you
> know if that's also the case with other projects on the Ideas list? A
> lot of them don't have many details or contact information associated
> with them. I'm especially interested in the OpenBSD xlint port.

Here's what I told a student who wants to participate in the GSoC
about the OpenBSD lint port entry:
---snip---
The project is about having a look at what OpenBSD did to their lint.
So first analyze what we have, then analyze what they have, and then
see if stuff they have but we haven't can be ported. This assumes that
there is a common ancestor to both lints, and that the code didn't
diverge too much so that we do not have an either this or that
situation.

IF the code diverged to much or if there is no common ancestor, there
is nothing to do regarding this specific project (it would be a new
project to improve our lint).

I do not know the code of both lints, so I do not know much
improvements there are which we don't have, and how much work it is to
port this over. In the worst case there is not enough or too much to do
this as a GSoC project. Should be easy to determine by reading the
history of lint on both version control systems to see if there is a
common starting point, and if yes to see how much they derived from
there.

Regarding the lint project itself... I (= personal opinion, not an
official word from FreeBSD) do not think this is a project which would
gain a lot of interest (= highly rated during the GSoC evaluation). If
you want to send in a proposal for this (after researching if it is
feasible, see above), I suggest to send in more than one proposal. This
should improve your change to be chosen. In the last GSoCs we had
students which send in several proposals, some of the proposals didn't
gain enough interest, but another one from the same person was chosen.
Seeing multiple proposals from the same person gave us a hint about his
technical knowledge (sane expectations in the proposals or not).
---snip---

Bye,
Alexander.

--