Keeping /etc/localtime up-to-date

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 27 20:31:28 UTC 2011

On 03/27/2011 08:38, David Wolfskill wrote:
> It would (in principle) be possible to teach mergemaster(8) how to
> do this (possibly by including a cookie in ~/.mergemasterrc or
> /etc/mergemaster.rc to tell it what the "reference" zoneinfo pathname
> is), but this type of approach seems sufficiently different from
> (the bulk of?) what mergemaster does currently that I'm unconvinced
> that this is reasonable, let alone ideal.

Yeah, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about this. :)

> So it seems to me that requirements would be:
> * The content of /etc/localtime must provide the appropriate
>    "zoneinfo" information, even when/usr/share/zoneinfo/* has been
>    modified (or shortly thereafter, in concert with "make installworld").

This is more along the lines of something that would be easy to work
with in mergemaster. If I can tell what file in /usr/share/zoneinfo to
compare /etc/localtime to (ideally with fully path), I'm happy to
provide a mechanism in mergemaster to make sure it stays up to date.

Doug

			-- OK Go