[GSoc] Timeconter Performance Improvements

Jing Huang jing.huang.pku at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 14:43:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

 Thanks for you all sincerely. Under your guidance, I read the
specification of TSC in Intel Manual and learned the hardware feature
of TSC:

Processor families increment the time-stamp counter differently:
   • For Pentium M processors (family [06H], models [09H, 0DH]); for Pentium 4
processors, Intel Xeon processors (family [0FH], models [00H, 01H, or 02H]);
and for P6 family processors: the time-stamp counter increments with every
internal processor clock cycle.

   • For Pentium 4 processors, Intel Xeon processors (family [0FH],
models [03H and
higher]); for Intel Core Solo and Intel Core Duo processors (family [06H], model
[0EH]); for the Intel Xeon processor 5100 series and Intel Core 2 Duo processors
(family [06H], model [0FH]); for Intel Core 2 and Intel Xeon processors (family
[06H], display_model [17H]); for Intel Atom processors (family [06H],
display_model [1CH]): the time-stamp counter increments at a constant rate.

Maybe we would implement gettimeofday as fellows. Firstly, use cpuid
to find the family and models of current CPU. If the CPU support
constant TSC, we look up the shared page and calculate the precise
time in usermode. If the platform has invariant TSCs, and we just
fallback to a syscall. So, I think a single global shared page maybe
proper.